Two Welterweight contenders will step up in a phenomenal pairing where the winner will be crowned (interim) champion.
No. 2 ranked Rafael dos Anjos is set to face No. 3 ranked Colby Covington at UFC 224 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. First reported by MMA Kings last week, the bout was soon after confirmed by the UFC Tuesday evening.
Dos Anjos (28-9, 17-7 in UFC) is currently riding a three-fight winning streak, all of which have taken place in the Welterweight division. Dos Anjos moved up to 170 in the summer of 2017 and quickly rounded up victories over ranked fighters such as Tarec Saffiedine, Neil Magny and former Welterweight champion Robbie Lawler. As a Lightweight, dos Anjos went 14-7 and was the UFC Lightweight champion from March of 2015 to July of 2016 with his lone title defense coming against Donald Cerrone.
Covington (13-1, 8-1 in UFC) is currently riding a five-fight winning streak that includes names such as Bryan Barberena, Dong Hyun Kim and former Welterweight and Middleweight title challenger Demian Maia. Covington has attracted much attention with his brash and outlandish personality, thus bringing in much intrigue in his career. Of his 13 career wins, five have come by submission and two by knockout or TKO.
UFC 224 takes place at the Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on May 12 and will stream live on pay per view. No main event has been tapped for the card as of press time. The card as of now reads:
- Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington (UFC Bantamweight championship)
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington (Interim Welterweight championship)
- Volkan Oezdemir vs. Glover Teixeira
- Lyoto Machida vs. Vitor Belfort
- Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Thales Leites vs. Jack Hermansson
- Davi Ramos vs. Nick Hein
- Alberto Mina vs. Ramazan Emeev
- Alexey Oleynik vs. Júnior Albini
- Cezar Ferreira vs. Karl Roberson