By: Glen Howie
MMA is an exciting, dynamic sport. There are many aspects of MMA that attract us as fans.
- We all like to see a war. Two martial artists going toe-to-toe, and leaving it all in the cage: Mark Hunt vs. Bigfoot Silva.
- We all like to see a technician go to work, and display their skills: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben.
- We all like to see a fight with momentum swings and tireless action: Justin Gaethje vs. Eddie Alvarez.
- We all like to see amazing finishes: Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim.
This list is about none of those things.
This is a list of the most one-sided beatings in UFC history. Fights in which one fighter savagely dominated and destroyed their opponent, over 3, or more rounds. All of these fights went the distance, or almost the distance with the one fighter brutalizing the other for the entire duration.
These are not quick fights where one fighter outclassed the other. These are epic beatdowns.
In no particular order:
- Georges St-Pierre vs. Jason Miller – GSP outclassed Miller in every aspect of this fight, laying down a brutal 3 round beating.
- Forrest Petz vs. Sammy Morgan – Petz won one of the most lopsided fights in UFC history, dropping Morgan FIVE times over 3 rounds, and winning by decision with 30-27, 30-26 and 30-23 scores from the judges.
- Rory MacDonald vs. BJ Penn – Rory utterly humiliated and destroyed BJ in this fight, pinning BJ against the fence at multiple points, with brutal combination after combination. BJ survived to the final bell thanks to his epic chin, but this was a one-sided beatdown.
- Rich Franklin vs. David Loiseau – Franklin beat the tar out of Loiseau, scoring two 10-8 rounds in the days when those weren’t handed out. Loiseau never looked the same after this fight.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Edson Barboza – Khabib quickly got his hands on Barboza, took him down and unleashed a savage torrent of ground and pound, pausing briefly to go to his corner and get a drink.
- Stipe Miocic vs. Mark Hunt – Stipe used Hunt as a punching bag, landing 361 strikes before the referee finally saved Hunt in round 5. An absolute one-sided beating.
- TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao – Dillashaw was a huge underdog going into this fight, but he came out guns blazing, and lit Barao up from the opening moments of the fight. What followed was a vicious beating culminating in a 5th round head kick KO.
- Jon Jones vs. Shogun Rua – Jones brutalized Shogun like no one ever has. Jones did whatever he wanted for 4 rounds until the fight was finally and mercifully stopped.
- Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck – GSP used his superior jab to break Koscheck’s orbital early in the fight. He then lit Koscheck up for 4 more rounds, winning a brutally one-sided decision.
- BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez – It’s mind boggling how little offense Diego was able to muster in this fight. Diego’s chin kept him in the fight, despite taking an epic beating. The fight ended via a 5th round TKO finish for BJ, due to a big gash opened on Sanchez’s head by a head kick.
- Michael Bisping vs. Cung Le – Bisping outworked and out-struck Le in a one-sided affair, finishing Le with a knee and follow up punches in round 4. Post fight, Le looked like someone had smashed a brick into his face, multiple times.
- Georges St-Pierre vs. Jon Fitch – GSP dominated Fitch in every aspect of the fight. Striking, grappling, you name it, for the entire 25 minutes. GSP made a mockery of Fitch’s 16 fight win streak, by beating him in every conceivable way.
- Roger Huerta vs. Leonard Garcia – Huerta dominated Garcia, turning his face into a swollen monstrosity. Garcia showed tremendous heart staying in the fight, but he got utterly, savagely destroyed.
- Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson – JDS put a beating on Nelson’s epic chin for 3 solid rounds, dropping Big Country twice early in the fight. This fight would have ended early if it had been anyone but Nelson eating the punches.
- Georges St-Pierre vs. BJ Penn 2 – BJ Penn didn’t belong at WW, something GSP proved by smashing the shit out of him through 4 solid rounds, until BJ’s corner literally threw in the towel prior to the 5th round.
- Rory MacDonald vs. Nate Diaz – Rory dominated Diaz everywhere, taking Diaz down at will. Rory also suplexed the shit out of Diaz, over and over, and battered him standing. A dominant one-sided beating.
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dan Henderson – Cormier dominated every aspect of the fight. Tossing Hendo around like a ragdoll, and smashing him relentlessly until he finally choked Henderson out in the 3rd.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Abel Trujillo – Khabib set a record in this fight, taking Trujillo down TWENTY-ONE times, and completely having his way with Trujillo.
- Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos 2 and 3 – Cain turned JDS into Sloth from the Goonies, in both fights. Beating him so severely that JDS was nearly unrecognizable at the end of both fights.
- Nate Diaz vs. Donald Cerrone – Diaz out-struck Cerrone by 142 strikes, in a 3 round fight – even with taking breaks to talk shit and flip the bird at Cerrone.
Did I miss a one-sided beatdown that you loved? Let me know.