One will move up, one will move down.
A stimulating women’s bout has been set for UFC 216 as two women from two separate divisions will cross paths in the Octagon as ranked Strawweight contender Paige VanZant will take on Bantamweight veteran Jessica Eye at the Flyweight limit of 125 pounds. The bout was first reported by Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review-Journal before being officially announced Tuesday morning.
VanZant (7-3, 4-2 in UFC) most recently competed last December at UFC on Fox 22 in the main event against Michelle Waterson where she lost due to a rear naked choke submission. Currently 1-2 in her last three bouts, VanZants decision to move up to 125 pounds may still surprise many as she is still touted as a possible top contender at Strawweight.
Eye (11-6, 1-5 in UFC) who has competed at Flyweight before, will be looking to break a four-fight losing streak. Eye has only managed to garner one victory inside the Octagon, a TKO victory over Leslie Smith back in 2014. Eye had never competed in the Bantamweight division until she had joined the UFC, so a move down to Strawweight is likely to be a welcome endeavor after suffering consecutive losses.
UFC 216 takes place at the T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas on October 7. The fight card thus far reads:
- Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee
- Fabrício Werdum vs. Derrick Lewis
- Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye
- Walt Harris vs. Mark Godbeer
- Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham
- Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz
- Tom Duquesnoy vs. Cody Stamann
- Pearl Gonzalez vs. Poliana Botelho
- Bobby Green vs. Lando Vannata
- John Moraga vs. Magomed Bibulatov
- Thales Leites vs. Brad Tavares
- Matt Schnell vs. Marco Beltrán
Image: Getty Images – Brandon Magnus